Thursday, January 27, 2011

His Dark Materials


What a fun circle journey entry this one was to work on!

This is from the Take Ten CJ, and the theme here is famous books.

I'm the seventh to play in this book so there were only 4 titles left to choose from, and I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't heard of three of them!

But luckily one of the remaining choices was Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy, which is such a good one that I would have chosen it anyway I think, even if I'd had first dibs.

A quick how to:

The background is made from a paper napkin that I have been keeping for the perfect moment, and this turned out to be it.  It was glued down with gel medium and then sprayed with a couple of different colours of glimmer mist.  And then I painted in a few darker stripes on the right hand side.

Will, Lyra and her daemon were cut out and then painted with a white paint pen to make them nice and bright white.

I decided that they needed something behind them so roughly sketched a viaduct on some of my scrap paper that I use to protect my table when using spray inks and cut it out.

The airship and scroll (which features the passage from John Milton's Paradise Lost which inspired the title of the book series) were aged with distress inks and then glued down.

Three rusty iron stars finish it all off down in the bottom left.

Next month I have "Couples in Literature" (more books!  don't these people realise that I don't have time to read? :) ) - I have chosen Orpheus and Eurydice, wish me luck!

And don't worry, I haven't forgotten my ten minutes art journalling tonight, no completed pages yet to share, but here are a couple of backgrounds-in-progress:



The second one was made using this fab technique from the very talented Dyan Reaveley:



Clever, huh?


AJED : 26/365

2 comments:

forcryeye said...

LOve it! You have such an amazing way of creating in dark tones! LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

This is really cool, you showed up in our His Dark Materials newsfeed - we are bridgetothestars.net, a His Dark Materials fansite! If you fancy, take a look around and maybe submit your work to the fanart page at fanart@bridgetothestars.net, we'd love to hear from you :)