Monday, October 24, 2011

Inspired by a grand master


It's been a little while since I last posted anything I've made on my blog, but it's CJ time-of-the-month again, so expect a few posts over the next week or two.

This is my entry in this month's Project Runway journal - the theme of this one is "art from art" - make a page inspired by a favourite painting or other artwork....

I chose a piece called 'Canyon' by Robert Rauschenberg (1959):

I love pretty much everything this man ever produced, but I particularly like the earthy palette of this one, and the raven gave me the idea of making my interpretation with a nod to my favourite place in the world - beautiful British Columbia.

My raven is a Haida first nations bird, and it has a couple of inukshuk to keep it company.


I thoroughly enjoyed layering on the different shades and textures of paint to pull this all together.  In some places I have followed the original quite closely, in others I've gone off and done my own thing.


I'd like to recreate this on canvas for myself one day.....I'll add it to my seemingly endless to-do list :)



3 comments:

Sid said...

Fab and very arty Flo !!

Carmen said...

WOW. WOW. WOW. WOW! I need to check this fella out! Both his original and your interpretation are just stunning! you MUST do the canvas version!

fatmonica said...

Fabulous!Can't wait to see it in real life!