Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Don't upset the balance....


And so, with this quick and simple page, that's my baby Moleskine all filled up!

I was kind of hoping it would last till the end of the year so it could be my 2011 journal - but I guess I got a bit ahead of myself :)

Here it is all bursting at the seams, it's been a good little companion to me over the past 11 months:


But anyway, back to the page in hand.

This one's in response to the latest prompt over at A Year In The Life Of An Art Journal, the one challenge site I have managed to keep up with pretty much all year, as I really enjoy their 3-part prompts that you can take in pretty much any direction you choose.

THE PROMPT: Pretty
THE SONG: Fuckin' Perfect by Pink
Written Lyrics HERE
PRODUCT/TECHNIQUE: Pink Paint Dripped like Blood


I started thinking about the concept of "pretty" - and would I want to be prettier than I am (not difficult lol) - and then got stuck on the "pretty pretty please" in the song lyrics, and thinking about asking/begging the universe to make me prettier/thinner/richer/have more talent/have more stuff.....

And then I thought about the concept of balance ..... how if the left hand gives, the right hand takes away .... and I realised I didn't want any of that extra stuff enough to give up any of the great things I already have in my life.

So my "pretty pretty please" ended up as a request to the universe to leave my perfect life just as it is.

Funny where these prompts end up taking you :)

The construction of the page was quick and easy - spray paint in two shades of pink over some scrapbook paper with a faint Oriental text on it.  Stamped yin-yang symbols.  A picture of a perfectly balanced scale (must have been tricky getting it so spot on that those balls didn't roll off!) added to drive the point home.  And then the title drawn with a yellow Posca paint pen and outlined with a thin black Pitt pen.  And the journalling written in with the same Pitt pen.  and we're done.

It's way simpler than most of my pages but it doesn't seem to need anything else adding to it.

AJED : 105 / 365

9 comments:

Sid said...

Great pages and your journal looks fab !!

Heavens2Betsy said...

Great page Sarah and I love the story of how you came to make it. penny

Rosie said...

Not enough people are grateful for the good stuff they already have! Well said you. Loving your completed journal - makes me want to leaf through the pages ....

Sue said...

Oh Wow! So Sarah!
Joking aside.....I like the story of how the page developed....good for you for seeing that your life is good without needing to change too much.
Journal looks so inviting....wish I could flick through in real life:)

Carmen said...

I've loved seeing your little moleskin fill up Sarah, so much so that i have several on my wishlist of varying sizes, the sketchbook one I particularly want to play in.

This is another great page, thanks for sharing the techniques too - Am definitely going to give spray paint a try!

Marit said...

I love where this prompt took you! Great thoughts, and marvelous way of depicting (is that the word?) it on the page. You are indeed a true 'follower' of AYITLOAAJ - thank you! Btw, You're very inspiring yourself too!

Nigel said...

The pages are great, and love the sentiment behind it.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous pages! and i love, love your "pretty pretty please"! i really wish i could peek through that yummy book. looks so vibrant and gorgeous.

as for the tallest book, you can do whichever you feel most comfortable with. :) i have a lovely stack here that i'm starting to bind this week after i finish the cover, and will add in all the new ones as they arrive. so excited that you're playing! :)

Allycat x said...

Love this page, even though I'm not keen on the color pink, I still love it! Must have a proper look at A Year in the Life of...
x