Thursday, June 13, 2013

It's ICAD time again!

You might remember that this time last year I took part in Daisy Yellow's Index Card A Day challenge - to make some kind of small artwork on an index card every day for 2 months.

My kids joined in too, and even my other half did a couple, and we ended up with this fantastic wall of creativity:


I did all 61 cards last year over June and July, and I wish I was in a position to do so this year, but work is crazy busy :(

So instead this year I have set myself the task of still doing 61 index cards, but over as much time as it takes (ie not within the 2 months)

And rather than doing all sorts of different styles and subjects like I did last year, I'm going to use this as an exercise to improve my portraits - and paint 61 faces, men, women, children, maybe even animals, with different facial expressions.  It's all good practice.

So here is the start of this year's ICAD wall:


I found the child's face particularly hard - he was supposed to look cheeky and adorable, not evil :)

And the profile pic top right is based on an old photo of my school friend Jo, and I struggled to capture her likeness to my liking, 

but I am pleased with the two on the left.

A 50:50 success rate on my first 4 cards isn't too shabby I guess? :)  i hope I can keep that up over the remaining 57!

4 comments:

Carmen said...

I love that picture of your friend - I know I can't actually see what she really looks like but just as a portrait of someone super cool (I wish I was as brave with my haircuts!) I think it's fabulous and I still don't think your boy looks evil - just cheeky :) I can't wait to see how your new section of wall fills up :)

iHanna said...

Your ICAD-wall is amazing, and your new cards so cool. Painting takes time, so taking all that time for each card really pushes you further. Have a great continued summer!

Natasha said...

They may not all have come out how you wanted, but I so think they are all quite wonderful. Really beautiful expressions of the human face!! :)

Unknown said...

your portraits are so good. Everytime I come and visit I see how you are growing and getting so good. I am happy for you!